At an excellent meeting of the Liverpool 47 surcharged councillors’ group and supporters on Friday 20 October 2017, it was agreed to issue the following statement:
- We support the RMT campaign against driver only trains, and condemn the stance of Labour elected representatives who continue to support the private train owners.
- We pledge ongoing support for the campaign to keep open the Women’s Hospital on its existing site
- We call for a campaign to democratise the Labour Party to
- secure the empowerment of the membership to select candidates of their choice
- to restore the Liverpool District Labour Party which played a powerful and indispensable role in Liverpool’s historic campaign to defend the city from Thatcherism from 1983 to 1987
- to restore the right of the membership to participate in the decision-making process, and
- to ensure that elected Councillors are accountable to the party membership