TRADE UNIONIST AND SOCIALIST COALITION (TUSC) NEWS RELEASE –11 NOVEMBER 2016
MAYOR ANDERSON’S CUNNING PLAN TO HAMMER LIVERPOOL’S TAX PAYERS
TUSC continues to oppose all the Tory cuts being implemented by Mayor Anderson’s council and views with outrage the next cuts package of £90million with the appalling consequences for the neediest in our city.
We condemn the lack of a strategy by this Labour council to fight the cuts and oppose the latest cunning plan of the Mayor in his proposal to ask Liverpool’s long suffering tax payers to stump up a further 10% to pay for Tory cuts while those who caused the crisis: the bankers, the hedge fund managers, the private equity spivs, and the tax dodgers continue to increase their vast wealth by at least 5% yearly while services for the neediest are butchered
The Mayor’s proposals mean paying more for less without ending the cuts as a 50% shortfall will remain. His defeat for the nomination as Metro Mayor in favour of Steve Rotheram is a clear sign of dissatisfaction with his stewardship.
TUSC calls for:
- Not a website gimmick but a real consultation with the communities and trade unions of the city on what resources are needed to provide services.
- Such a consultation to include consideration of a plan of action to force the Tories to retreat from their continuing brutal attacks on the neediest in our society
- In the event of the Mayor continuing with his disastrous implementation of Tory cuts we will meet with the anti-cuts organisations and unions with a view to organising a serious fight back against both the Tories and the Labour council.
TUSC says that if a referendum is called let it be on two simple questions:
- Do you want your Labour council to refuse to carry out any further cuts?
- Do you want your Labour council to seriously campaign to retrieve the funding that this fat cats’ government has stolen from the city?
We will be calling on Steve Rotheram to declare his support for this initiative.